Mr. Steven Rosser
Department Head and Associate Professor
“There’s a lot more to art than just drawing. We have an amazing group of highly trained faculty and high-quality facilities that allow students to study a variety of disciplines. Small class sizes make sure our students get more direct interaction with faculty, and internship opportunities give students practical experience in the art world. When a student walks away with an art degree from RSU, they leave with a portfolio, a digital presence, and the experience to work as a professional artist.”
More About Mr. Rosser
About the Department
Students who pursue a career in fine arts are passionate about learning and creating new works. That’s why the Department of Fine Arts teaches students how to respond to their creative voice. Students are provided a strong fine arts foundation that allows growth into more specific areas.
The Department of Fine Arts is equipped with art and music classrooms, studios, labs, darkrooms, rehearsal spaces and a gallery to meet student needs before, during and after the art-making process.
Students in the Fine Arts Department have the option to study Visual Arts, Native American Studies, or Music.
Visual Arts students can specialize in graphic design, multimedia, photographic arts, or studio arts.
Graduates of the fine arts program are employed in a variety of fields, including, art education, museum and gallery work, graphic and photographic design, art research and restoration, art therapy, trade show design, art marketing and studio art.
- RSU hosts several student and professional art shows each year in the Foundations Gallery. Many shows are juried, and all shows are open to the public.
- The Summer Art Program in Italy provides students with the opportunity to study the art, architecture and history of Italy. Students also make their own art and confer with well-known international artists about their progress.
- The department provides students with a variety of art-making spaces, including two 2-D studios, two photography labs, a photo studio, two graphics labs, a three-dimensional art lab and studio/classroom, and a ceramics studio.
- Graduates of the Fine Arts program continue to be placed in graduate school programs to pursue their Master of Arts or Master of Fine Arts Degree.
- Fine arts faculty participate in art shows, performances and festivals that relate to their disciplines. Faculty members also conduct research, write articles and lead professional presentations in the region, across the country and around the world.
“Art is best studied both within and beyond the classroom, lab and studio. That’s why our students are encouraged to visit other cultures, study relevant history, practice traditional techniques, and explore new innovations and theories related to fine arts. Students take these experiences and apply them to the art they produce, and ultimately, they and their work are better for it.” More About Mr. Moeller
“I’ve always known I wanted to be an artist. At first I thought I would just take a couple classes at RSU, but then I saw how strong the art program is.
The faculty teach us how to market ourselves as professional artists and how to make our work look professional in order to enter gallery shows. We also have juried gallery shows on campus, and people from outside the college come to see our work.
The teachers here are knowledgeable about their fields, and they love what they do. At RSU I feel like I’m not just another student; I’m an artist in training.”