Research Center Strategic Goals
- Develop high quality empirical research on issues related to family, poverty, and trauma in Northeastern Oklahoma counties.
- Identify evidence-based strategies to address family issues related to poverty and trauma in Northeastern Oklahoma counties.
- Produce evidence-based findings for policy-making, state, national, international research, counseling, and education.
- Conduct research providing evidence-based knowledge (or findings) for state issues (e.g., female incarceration, domestic violence, drug addiction, mental health, poverty, and family disruption.
- Achieve research center status recognized for being rigorous and committed to high academic standards and social problems.
- Conduct evidence-based research relevant for academia and for social issues present in the state of Oklahoma.
Research Center Objectives
Develop high-quality empirical research in the areas of poverty, family, and trauma.
- Define the main research topics for future research work.
- Provide literature reviews of the main areas of the center’s research.
- Develop and revise current work conducted by similar research centers in the U.S. and around the world.
Create long-term research teams within the Department of Psychology and Sociology.
- Create a digital map depicting past and current research work developed by all professors and students.
- Specify the main topics and problematic areas investigated by the center’s members.
- Develop research teams of professors and graduate-level students (graduate assistants).
Provide data, solutions, findings, and suggestions to current-state problematics in the areas of poverty, family, and trauma.
- Provide empirical evidence that identifies the salient issues faced by Oklahoma (poverty, addiction, family disruption, mental health, etc.).
- Create a public database (website) that shares the data described in activity 3.A. and that justifies the work of the center.
- Develop professional and research networks with the state Capitol, cities, other research centers, and private and philanthropic organizations.
Publish research in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Define the research methods and standards for the research work developed by the center.
- Identify scholarly journals, organizations, and scholars currently researching the problematic issues identified in this proposal.
- Submit manuscripts to peer-reviewed science journals.
- Present the work in research conferences.
Procure funding from external sources for the research developed within the center.
- Identify the main grants offered for this type of research.
- Develop the processes for grant applications.
- Apply for national and international grants for research.