Discover. Connect. Belong.
The University Experience
During your first semester at Rogers State University, you will take The University Experience (UNIV 1152) course. In this course, we will focus on transitioning students into university lifestyle while learning about the RSU community and its culture.
Our small class sizes allow you the opportunity to engage with your instructor as well as enhance your personal skills which will aid in your success at RSU and beyond. Furthermore, you will make many new friends!
Additionally, the The University Experience course includes a New Student Orientation (NSO) session which is designed to welcome you as a new student to RSU as well as provide you with relevant and timely information to successfully begin your first year in college. Watch a previously recorded NSO session.
The University Experience Course Description
The University Experience course introduces students to university resources and expectations. Moreover, you will learn the skills necessary for success – including study skills, effective communication, and career planning. Lastly, this course emphasizes the importance of planning, proactive learning, building community, and fostering an understanding of self.
Learning Outcomes of The University Experience
Upon completion of The University Experience course, you will be able to:
- Identify university resources, support systems, and opportunities for campus involvement.
- Evaluate personal and social strategies to effectively communicate and work in diverse environments and populations.
- Identify issues affecting motivation and create strategies to build resilience.
- Create long- and short-term plans to balance school, financial obligations, and other life responsibilities.
- Explore college majors and relate selected majors to career planning and success.
- Create study strategies and behavior patterns to successfully complete college assignments and exams.
Selected Topics Covered in The University Experience
- University Expectations/Culture Including Faculty Expectations
- Effective Professional Communication
- Time Management
- Strategic Learning
- RSU Resources & Support
- Health & Wellness
- Stress Management
- Motivation & Goal Setting
- Academic & Career Planning
How The University Experience can help you?
- Academic Success – Supports every student with their academic transition from high school to college by aiding them in the navigation of academic expectations and connecting them to academic resources.
- Resilience & Empowerment – Empowers students to build resilience by embracing challenges, identifying solutions, and making informed decisions about their academic and personal lives.
- Inclusion, Diversity, & Equity – Creates a learning environment where students from all backgrounds and abilities are welcomed, celebrated, and supported.
- Campus Engagement & Experiential Learning – Designs clear pathways to campus engagement through student organizations, service-learning, and other leadership opportunities.
- Social & Personal Responsibility – Inspires students to become socially responsible representatives of their communities through civic engagement and service-learning opportunities.
- Career Planning – Exploration of major and career planning.
Benefits of The University Experience
- Active learning model – YOU participate in the learning process
- Learn skills – YOU are successful in college
- Adjust to the demands of college – it really IS different than high school
- Learn RSU technology and library skills
- Improve communication for academic life and career
- Explore new areas, goals, and career objectives