three girls talking

I. Applicability

The grievance procedure set forth below applies to undergraduate and graduate students of the University. It is designed to address disputes concerning:

  1. Disagreements regarding a requested service or accommodation;
  2. Inaccessibility of a program or activity due to disability;
  3. Violation of privacy in the context of disability.

II. Informal Resolution

In the event a student believes:

  1. that he or she has been denied an accommodation to which he or she is entitled under applicable disability law or
  2. a program or activity has been inaccessible to him/her due to disability or
  3. his/her privacy has been violated in the context of his/her disability, the student shall attempt to resolve the matter informally by contacting relevant faculty and staff (i.e. Director of Residential Life, Professor for the course, etc.) within seven (7) days of the incident.

If the student is unable to resolve the matter through the informal process, a formal complaint may be filed at the option of the student. If you believe you have been discriminated against due to your disability, please contact the Equal Opportunity Officer at 918-343-7579.

III. Formal Complaint

If the informal procedure described above does not yield a successful resolution, the student may file a formal complaint in the following manner:

  1. When to File a Complaint – Complaints shall be filed within fourteen (14) calendar days of the incident.
  2. What to File – The complainant must obtain a Disability Grievance Form from (URL here) or from the Office of Student Affairs.
  3. Where to File a Formal Complaint – The complaint shall be filed with the Coordinator of Disability Services.
  4. Notice of Receipt – Upon receipt of the complaint, the Coordinator of Disability Services will review the complaint for timeliness and appropriateness for this grievance procedure, and will provide acknowledgement of receipt by email. In the case that the complaint involves the Coordinator of Disability Services, the form will be reviewed by the Director of Student Development.

IV. Remedies

Possible remedies under this grievance procedure include corrective steps and measures to provide a reasonable accommodation or proper ongoing treatment. The guidelines set forth in the Faculty and Employee Handbooks will be adhered to in the event that corrective steps or actions are necessary.

V. Appeal

Within five (5) calendar days of the issuance of the decision, the student or the party against whom the grievance is directed may file an appeal to the Vice President for Student Affairs. The written request must specify the particular substantive and or procedural basis for the appeal, and must be made on grounds other than general dissatisfaction with the disposition. Furthermore, the appeal must be directed only to issues raised in the formal complaint as filed or to procedural errors in the conduct of the grievance procedure itself, and not to new issues. A copy of the Vice President for Student Affairs’ written decision will be expected within thirty (30) calendar days of the filing of the appeal and shall be sent to the appropriate parties. The Vice President for Student Affairs for good cause may extend the deadline. The decision of the Vice President for Student Affairs is final.