Missing On-Campus Resident Student Notification Policy
In accordance with the Higher Education Act, if a Resident Student who is under 18 or not emancipated is determined to be missing, the college is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian no more than 24 hours after the student is determined to be missing. If you are 18 or older, you have the option to provide who you would like to be notified (docx) if you are determined to be missing.
The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for the Rogers State University resident campus community regarding reporting, investigation, and required emergency notification when a student living in RSU campus housing (“Resident Student”) is deemed to be missing.
The report of a missing Resident Student is initiated when the Residential Life Staff are notified of or become aware of a missing Resident Student. Upon notification, the Residential Life Staff will complete the Missing Resident Student Form (docx).
II. Notification of Policy
Information about Rogers State University Missing On-Campus Resident Student Policy will be posted on the RSU website. Furthermore, students will be informed of the policy during Residential Life mandatory meeting and receive an insert to be placed in Residential Life handbook for each complex.
III. Procedures for designation of emergency contact information
- Students age 18 and above and emancipated minors:
Resident Students will be given the opportunity during move-ins to designate an individual or individuals to be contacted by the college no more than 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing in accordance with the procedures set forth below. A designation will remain in effect until changed or revoked by the student.
- Students under the age of 18:
In the event a Resident Student who is under 18 or not emancipated is determined to be missing pursuant to the procedures set forth below, the college is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian no more than 24 hours after the student is determined to be missing in accordance with the procedures set forth below.
IV. Procedures for Reporting and investigating suspected missing Resident Students
- Any university employee who receives a report that a student is missing, or has independent information that a student is missing, must immediately report the information or evidence to the Rogers State University Campus Police. When RSU Campus Police receives initial report, they will notify the Office of Residential Life, whose staff will determine whether the student is a Resident Student. If not Resident Student, RSU Campus Police will conduct investigation.
- When the RSU Residential Life Staff receives information that a Resident Student is reported missing, the Residential Life Staff will conduct a preliminary investigation regarding any report of a missing Resident Student utilizing the following procedures.
- A Residential Life Staff member will attempt to contact the subject Resident Student via his/her telephone, email, or social networking site.
- If the subject Resident Student cannot be reached, two staff members will visit the apartment of Resident Student in question to verify his/her whereabouts and/or wellness. If the student is located, the Residential Life Staff may deliver a message to the student requesting that he/she contact a parent, family member, or friend who is searching for him/her.
- If the missing Resident Student is not at the apartment, but it is occupied, the Residential Life Staff will attempt to gain information on the student’s whereabouts and/or wellness from questioning the occupants of the apartment, other members of housing community, or other friends. The Residential Life Staff will also attempt to acquire additional contact information and use it to initiate contact.
- If there is no response when the Residential Life Staff members knock on the door of the apartment or there are occupants who do not know the missing Resident Student whereabouts, the Residential Life Staff will enter the apartment and individual room assigned to the reported missing Resident Student, by key if necessary, to perform a health and safety inspection.
- At any step in the process, the Director of Residential Life will immediately report any suspicious findings to RSU Campus Police.
- If all of these steps do not provide Residential Life Staff with an opportunity to speak with the missing on-campus student or to learn his/her whereabouts, RSU Campus Police will be contacted to investigate further.
- If the missing Resident Student is determined to be under the age of eighteen, the Director of Residential Life will notify the Vice President for Student Affairs so that contact will be made with the student’s parents within 24 hours. If the missing Resident Student is determined to be over the age of eighteen, the Director of Residential Life will notify the Vice President for Student Affairs so that contact will be made with the student’s designated emergency contact within 24 hours.
- If these steps provide the Residential Life Staff with an opportunity to speak with the missing Resident Student, verification of the student’s state of health and intention of returning to campus is made. If needed, a referral will be made to the RSU Counseling Center. The Division of Student Affairs shall contact RSU Campus Police to document that a missing student investigation was begun and apprise them of the student’s state of health and well-being.