Why Choose Biology at RSU?
Biology students graduate with the skills, knowledge and experience they need to achieve their personal and professional goals. With small class sizes and helpful, experienced faculty, students leave RSU ready to attend graduate school or start their careers.
The curriculum in the Medical/Molecular option is a proven preparatory track for students endeavoring to enter professional health fields, with graduates placed in graduate medical programs across the region.
Students who study Environmental Conservation graduate prepared to make a difference in the environment. The curriculum emphasizes statistics and ecological toxicology while addressing contemporary conservation issues such as ecosystem management, and landscape ecology.
Both degrees are augmented with individual research leading to presentation of scientific papers and internships for successful post-graduate and professional careers.
Biology Degree Fast Facts
- Medical/Molecular graduates have been placed into many professional programs including chiropractic, medical, physical therapy, optometry and veterinary schools as well as graduate programs.
- Environmental Conservation graduates have been placed in graduate programs in Environmental Science and Natural History, as well as holding careers in Fish and Wildlife, ODWC, the Corps of Engineers, GRDA and private industry.
- Upon graduation, students are prepared to take required entrance exams such as the GRE, MCAT, DAT and PCAT.
- Environmental Conservation students study nature hands-on in the 100-acre Education Conservation Reserve on RSU’s Claremore campus and our 260 acre RSU Field Research Station.
- Early admittance program with OSU College of Medicine is available.
Dr. Jerry Bowen, Department Head and Professor
“Biology students really enjoy the small class sizes we offer because it gives them better interaction and instruction than at larger schools. Our faculty members truly care about student success, and our graduates leave ready to take on the world.”