B.A. in Political Science
The Bachelor of Arts in Political Science is an interdisciplinary, professional degree for individuals who desire to work in, lead, and manage public organizations. Specifically, the program endeavors to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to plan and implement programs that address the vexing problems confronting American communities; to think critically, ethically, and practically about the purposes of public policy and how those policies can be improved; and to develop the understandings needed to work collaboratively with multiple sectors and diverse interests.
- American Government
- Public Administration
- International Relations
Careers in Political Science
Graduates of the Political Science program will be well prepared to begin careers in public and nonprofit organizations at all levels of society. The future is represented by an expanding job market. Skills developed qualify students to enter many of the fastest-growing employment opportunities in this region. Some career options in public administration include:
- Administrative Management: City Management, Executive Assistant, Policy Analyst, County Management, City Planning, Financial Officer, Government Affairs, Nonprofit Management, Program Administration, Organizational Research, and Fiscal Analysis.
- Personnel Management & Labor Relations: Personnel Management, Labor-Management Relations, Employee Development, Industrial Relations, Dispute Resolution, Employee Relations, Mediation, and Position Classification.
- Investigations & Inspections: Consumer Protection, Workplace Safety, General Investigation, Criminal Investigation, Internal Security, and Tax Law.
- Social Services: Recreational Management, Social Services Analysis, Corrections, Social Work, Volunteer Service, Management, and Community Research.
- Public Health: Health Services Management, Health Communications, Research and Planning, Outreach and Education, Public Relations, and Program Analysis.
A career in Public Administration is enhanced when matched with other fields of study available at RSU:
Cade Russell, B.A. Public Affairs
2021 Newman Civic Fellow
“Each and every one of us has the capability to make a difference. I believe that individuals are more inclined to work harder for a cause that they believe in. I encourage students that are interested in serving in this fellowship to find something that they are passionate about and go all in.”