Two Rogers State University student groups are organizing an April 20 concert to honor the memory of Jacob “Jake” Dexter, a broadcasting student killed in an automobile accident last year.
The Student Broadcasting Association (SBA) and the Student Activities Board will present the 6th annual JamBand concert in conjunction with the university’s Spring Fling 2006 activities. The concert will begin at 6:30 p.m., Thursday, April 20, in the Will Rogers Auditorium on the Claremore campus. Cost is $5, or $3 with a student ID.
Proceeds from the show will benefit the Jacob Dexter Memorial Fund, with which the organizers intend to plant a tree in his honor on campus and to potentially fund a memorial scholarship for RSU communication students. While at RSU, Dexter was a member of the SBA and the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. He also served as co-host of the RSU Radio show “Jake and Misti in the Mornings.” A Claremore High School graduate, he was very active in theatre and the Boy Scouts, and served as the Claremore Zebra mascot.
The featured bands for JamBand VI include:
- Wreckless Process, a rock alternative/metal band from Tulsa, will be serving as the concert’s headline act. The group released their debut CD in 2004, has played shows throughout the Midwestern U.S. and has shared the stage with such bands as Trapt, Story of the Year and Mourning September.
- Sam and the Stylees, a soul and reggae group from Tulsa.
- Adelai, a rock/pop-punk/alternative band from Claremore.
- UGC, a rap/hip hop group consisting of RSU students.
- The Red Alert (formerly known as “The Red Stripes” cover band), a rock group based out of Tulsa and Broken Arrow. The group recently released their first original disc.
- Shades of Grey, a Claremore-based band that recently was selected to compete in the JamBand event after competing against four other bands during the RSU Radio & Pinkeye “Bombardment” event on March 31. The band plays a combination of alternative punk and “screamo.” All members of the band attend Claremore High School and have been playing together for four months.
For more information about the event, call RSU Radio at (918) 343-7913.