Name: Dr. Kirk Voska
Email: [email protected]
Phone Number: 918-343-7762
Department: Mathematics & Physical Sciences
Office: Stratton Taylor Library, Room 101
Dr. Kirk Voska is a professor in the Department of Math and Physical Sciences at Rogers State University.
Ph.D., Chemical Education
University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
M.S., Organic Chemistry
Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, MI
2008-2011, Interim Department Head and Associate Professor
2006-2008, Associate Professor of Chemistry
2001-2006, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Rogers State University, Claremore, OK
1999-2001, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
Courses: Survey of Organic and Biochemistry lecture with laboratory (CHEM 142), General Chemistry Laboratory (Chem 128L), Senior Seminar (Chem 402), Survey of General Chemistry lecture with laboratory (CHEM 111), Organic Chemistry II lecture with laboratory (CHEM 342), Organic Chemistry I lecture with laboratory (CHEM 341)
1996-1999, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Truman State University, Kirksville, MO
Courses: Organic Chemistry II lecture (CHEM 331), One-semester Organic Chemistry with laboratory (CHEM 320) for non-majors, Organic Chemistry laboratories (CHEM 330, 332 & 333), General Chemistry II with Qualitative Analysis & laboratory (CHEM 121), General Chemistry I with laboratory (CHEM 120)
May 1995, Instructor
Research & Scholarship
- Conducting computational chemistry research to investigate the stabilization of thioketones, Spring 2009.
- Conducting computational chemistry research to study mechanisms for microwave-assisted chemical reactions, Spring 2009.
- Pilot-tested a computer adaptive test to identify student understanding about chemical equilibrium, Spring 2008.
- Submitted $66,734.79 NSF grant to initiate the study the kinetics ofµwave-assisted chemical reactions, Fall 2007.
- Received $2,098 RSU organized research grant to continue the studyof student conceptions about chemical equilibrium, Spring, 2007.
- Developed research project to study the kinetics of microwave-assisted organic chemical reactions, Spring 2007.
- Developed a computer-adaptive test which was used to study student conceptions about the chemical equilibrium, Spring 2005.
- Staff member for NSTA Chemical Reactions Summer Institute, University of Northern Colorado, 1995.
- Conducted research on silyl-substituted thioketones and CS-polymer at Kansas State University under the direction of Dr. Kenneth Klabunde, 1987 to 1991.
- Experienced in the following spectroscopic techniques:1H-NMR, 13C-NMR, Infrared Spectroscopy (including FT-IR), UV-VIS, Mass Spectroscopy, Column Chromatography.
Experienced in inert-atmosphere and vacuum line techniques.
- Member, American Chemical Society 1985.
- Member, National Association for Research in Science Teaching, 1993-2004.
- Member, Council on Undergraduate Research, 2007.
Publications & Presentations
K. W. Voska “Computer Adaptive Test to Identify Student Conceptions in Chemical Equilibrium” 64th Annual ACS Southwest Regional Meeting, Little Rock, AR, 2008.
K. W. Voska “Development of a Novel Computerized Test to Identify Student Conceptions in Chemical Equilibrium” 81st Annual AAAS-SWARM Meeting, Tulsa, OK, April 2006.
K. W. Voska “Development of a Novel Computerized Test to Identify Student Conceptions in Chemical Equilibrium” School of Liberal Arts Research and Creative Works Symposium, Rogers State University, April 2006.
K. W. Voska & H. W. Heikkinen “Identification and Analysis of Student Conceptions Used To Solve Chemical Equilibrium Problems” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 2000, 37(2), 160.
Voska, K. W.; Heikkinen, H. W. “Identification and Analysis of Student Conceptions Used to Solve Chemical Equilibrium Problems” 217th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Anaheim, CA, March, 1999.
K. W. Voska & H.W. Heikkinen, “Identification and Analysis of Student Reasoning While Solving Le Chatelier’s Principle Problems” 13th Rocky Mountain Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Lakewood, CO, June, 1996.
K. W. Voska & H.W. Heikkinen, “Student Misconceptions in Chemical Equilibrium” 64th Annual Meeting of the Colorado-Wyoming Academy of Science, Denver, CO, 1993.
K. W. Voska “Generation of Carbon Monosulfide From Organic Precursors” 25th Midwest Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Manhattan, KS, November, 1990.
Klabunde, K. J.; Moltzen, E.; Voska, K. W. Phosphorus, Sulfur, and Silica 1989, 43, 47-61.
K. W. Voska, “Generation of Carbon Monosulfide From Organic Precursors”, 25th ACS Regional Meeting, Manhattan, KS, 1988.