student eating

Refund Policy

Tuition and Fees: Tuition and fees will be refunded based on the schedules mandated by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education.

Withdrawing/Dropping: Withdrawal from classes after the first two weeks of a fall or spring semester and first week of a summer term (census date) does not relieve students of their financial obligation to the University, and these students will be charged 100% of the tuition and fees due the University. Students must complete and sign a withdrawal form from the Office of the Registrar. Withdrawals cannot be completed by phone. Students must drop from regular 16- week classes during the first two weeks to receive a refund.

Refund Time Table
16 Weeks 2 weeks (10 business days)
8 weeks 1 week (5 business days)
Between 7-4 weeks First business day after second day of class
Under 4 weeks First day after first day of class

Delinquent payment of charges will not constitute grounds for withdrawal. The charges will be carried forward to the next semester, at which time all fees and charges must be cleared prior to any new enrollment. Students leaving the University will find their official records and transcripts tagged, and these records will not be released to other persons, institutions, or agencies until all debts are paid.

Withdrawal and Return of  Title IV Aid

All RSU students are awarded federal (Title IV) aid under the assumption that they will remain enrolled and attend courses for the entire payment period or period of enrollment. Students who withdraw from all classes prior to completing 60% or more of the payment period will have their aid recalculated based on the percent of the term completed. For example, a student who withdraws completing only 30% of the period will have “earned” only 30% of any Title IV aid received. The school and/or the student must return the remaining 70%. In addition, aid will be adjusted accordingly for students reported as having “never attended” one or more courses.

The RSU Financial Aid Office strives to help students make informed decisions regarding withdrawal and to understand that a withdrawal potentially affects their academic as well as financial status.

This policy applies to students who withdraw, quit attending or who are expelled from RSU and receive aid from Title IV funds. Title IV funds refer to the types listed below and will be returned in the following order: 1. Direct Unsubsidized Loans 2. Direct Subsidized Loans 3. Direct PLUS Loans 4. Pell Grant 5. Federal SEOG 6. Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

A student’s withdrawal date is:

  1. The date the student initially signs the institution’s official withdrawal form, or officially provides written notification (email, fax or text) to the Office of the University Registrar of their intention to withdraw.  In the event the student provides both written notification and signs an official withdrawal date the earliest date notice is given will be used as the official withdrawal date.
  2. The midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution or with no recorded last date of academically related activity or
  3. The student’s last date of academically related activity as reported by the faculty at the time of final grade submission.

For unofficial withdrawals RSU typically uses the student’s last date of an academically related activity.

There are two types of withdrawals used when calculating how much aid a student has earned:

  1. Official Withdrawal- student provides official notice to the Office of the Registrar of their intent to withdraw from classes prior to the end of the withdrawal period. Students who officially withdraw are instructed to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to discuss the impact of the withdrawal on SAP and possible financial aid implications. Students who officially withdraw will earn a grade of W.
  2. Unofficial Withdrawal- student stops attending courses prior to the end of the semester without completing the official withdrawal process.

Schools are required to calculate and return any unearned funds within 45 days of the calculation.  Official withdrawals are calculated every two weeks in the RSU Financial Aid Office.  Unofficial withdrawals are calculated at the end of each semester based on the last date of attendance (if known) or by using the midpoint of the semester.