2019 President’s Award Honoree
Eltinge Streeter was born in Okay, Indian Territory on January 23, 1902. His family moved to Claremore in 1912. Streeter is one of the few men who can say that he attended three Claremore High Schools. He attended the last year of Eastern University Preparatory School on The Hill from 1916-1917, two years at Claremore High School 1917-1919 before completing his Senior Year at OMA from 1919-1920 in its first class.
While at OMA, Streeter was a Cadet 1st Lt and the school’s first Corps Commander, Senior Class President, President of the Glee Club, Debating Club, Editor in Chief of the first Vedette, while also playing football as the left tackle (undefeated season), on the track team and a member of the boxing club.
Streeter was one of 60 cadets who lived in tents while Meyer Barracks was being built when the school first opened in August 1919. He also has the distinction of being the first cadet to sleep in Meyer before it was officially opened.
He was one of the organizers of the initial OMA Alumni Association and served as its first president. In 1959 when the first OMA Hall of Fame was established, Streeter was the first person elected.
During the depression years, he worked at the Bank of Claremore and attended the Oklahoma School of Law and Accountancy in Tulsa where he graduated in 1933. In 1934 his father had a heart attack and he quit the bank to work full time in the family business. The Streeter family owned Streeter Dry Cleaning from 1927 until 1963.
He was very active in the City of Claremore as a councilman and Mayor (1956-1958). He was a member of the Rotary Club and served as President, 34th degree Mason, tax consultant and auditor for the Claremore Public Schools completing his last audit one month before he died), as well as being on the Board of Directors for the American Red Cross. He was included in Marquis Who’s Who of the South and Southwest (1976-1977) and had a Claremore Park named after him in 1972.
Albert Eltinge Streeter died on April 11, 1978 and is buried in the Woodlawn cemetery in Claremore.