Boy wearing Hillcat Soccer shirt.Unlike student loans, grants typically do not have to be repaid. Grants are funds that students with certain types of financial need may qualify to receive to help pay for educational expenses.

Federal PELL

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.

The U.S. Congress has established a lifetime limit on the amount of Pell Grants a student may receive. This limit applies to all Pell Grant recipients, including existing students who have received Pell Grants in the past. The Pell Grant lifetime limit is 600%. 

Each academic year represents 100%, so a student may receive a full time Pell Grant for 12 semesters or 6 years as a full-time student. The table below provides an example. Number of financial aid eligible credits enrolled (% of annual Pell):

Fall Spring Summer % Pell
12 (50%) 13 (50%) 0 100%
6 (25%) 7 (25%) 0 50%
12 (50%) 8 (25%) 6 (25%) 100%
6 (25%) 7 (25%) 8 (25%) 75%
9 (37.5%) 9 (37.5%) 0 75%
9 (37.5%) 9 (37.5%) 6 (25%) 100%
      Total: 500%

Total Pell after 6 years: 500% Student has remaining Pell eligibility for future semesters – 500% of 600% used.

Federal SEOG

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is designed to provide additional assistance to students. To be eligible, a student must complete the FAFSA, have the lowest EFC possible and be enrolled at least part time. Funding for the SEOG grant is limited and awarded to early applicants.


Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant is a state sponsored program designed to help pay tuition costs. To be eligible, a student must be enrolled in at least six hours and be a resident of Oklahoma. Application is made by completing the FAFSA by the published deadline date.


This grant is made available to Native American students with a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) card. Applicants are required by the BIA to submit a FAFSA. Students must apply for this particular grant their respective tribe.