What is federal work-study?
Federal Work-Study is a federally funded program that enables students to earn money for college costs through part-time employment. The federal government pays a portion of the students’ wages and the employer pays the balance. The program provides an opportunity for students to secure academic or career-oriented employment while providing essential to the University and the community. Federal Work-Study is awarded based upon financial need.

What kinds of work-study jobs are available?
Work-study jobs are available on-campus in areas such as academic departments, libraries, administrative offices, and laboratories. Work-study positions are also available with off-campus non-profit organizations, community based organizations, and government agencies.

Where do I get information about available work-study positions?
Information about work-study positions can be found from Suzanne Perry in Room 110 in Markham Hall.

How many hours can I work?
You may work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. To determine your total eligible hours for the entire academic year, divide the award amount by the hourly pay rate (i.e. $1,450 work-study eligibility divided by the per hour pay rate is equal to hours of eligibility).

How much money can I earn?
The work-study award listed on your award letter form represents the maximum amount you may earn (federal/employer contributions combined) under the work-study program during the academic year.

How will I be paid?
You will be paid on the 15th of each month.

Are work-study earnings taxable?
Work-study earnings are considered taxable income. However there are several factors determining the amount of your withholdings, including the amount earned, marital status, and allowances claimed. Depending on how you complete your W-4 form (a document included with your employment paperwork) you may be able to opt for exemption from withholding.

Can I hold more than one work-study job at the same time?
You may hold only one work-study job at a time. Therefore, you should select a job that provides enough hours to earn the total amount of your award.

What if I drop below full-time enrollment (12 units for undergraduates)?
Work-study requires that you be enrolled at least half-time (six units for undergraduates) to maintain your eligibility. Your financial aid may be affected by dropping below full-time status. Therefore, you should consult the Office of Financial Aid before dropping below full-time status.

How do I apply for work-study?
To be considered for work-study, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet all the deadlines for supporting documentation. Once the RSU Financial Aid Office receives your FAFSA information, you will be evaluated for financial need and a financial aid package will be determined. This package may include Federal Work-Study.

If I decide not to participate in the work-study program this year, will it affect my eligibility for the program next year?
No. Eligibility for the program is based solely on your demonstrated financial need. Each year, your eligibility for all financial assistance (including work-study) is determined independently from any prior period. Please note that you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.