The Department of Psychology and Sociology offers a variety of degrees that prepare students to work or further their study in fields such as therapeutic services, health and medical services, human resources, and social services.
- Students have access to the Behavioral Sciences Lab, which includes equipment and training for measuring physical responses to behavioral stimuli.
- Capstone students have the opportunity to conduct graduate-level research and present their findings at professional conferences in the region.
- Mental Wealth Day, an annual event to promote personal and community wellness, is organized each year by the department’s Psi Chi and the Social Justice League student organizations. The event is the largest student-led event held on campus.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in a live archaeological excavation during the summer. Findings are analyzed and catalogued throughout the year.
- Cameron University students at RSU have access to internships in area elementary school classrooms.
Department of Psychology and Sociology Goals
The mission of the Department of Psychology and Sociology is to assist students in developing knowledge and understanding of social and psychological issues and to operate effectively in today’s social and culturally diverse community. In pursuit of this mission, the department will:
- Foster skills of critical thinking, writing, research, and oral communication and provide traditional and
nontraditional students quality associate and baccalaureate degrees.
- Foster values of scholarship, creativity, appreciation of diversity, and community service among our
faculty, staff, and students.
- Serve the University and the community through the provision of quality general education courses, which promote lifelong learning and service to a diverse population.
- Promote a community of scholars among faculty and students through research and scholarly experiences.
- Offer and promote student and community interaction to create opportunities for cultural, intellectual, and personal enrichment.