Careers in Public Affairs
Graduates of the Public Affairs program will be well prepared to begin careers in public and nonprofit organizations at all levels of society. The future of public affairs is represented by an expanding job market. Skills developed qualify students to enter many of the fastest growing employment opportunities in this region. Some career options in public administration include:
- Administrative Management: City Management, Executive Assistant, Policy Analyst, County Management, City Planning, Financial Officer, Government Affairs, Nonprofit Management, Program Administration, Organizational Research, and Fiscal Analysis.
- Personnel Management & Labor Relations: Personnel Management, Labor-Management Relations, Employee Development, Industrial Relations, Dispute Resolution, Employee Relations, Mediation, and Position Classification.
- Investigations & Inspections: Consumer Protection, Workplace Safety, General Investigation, Criminal Investigation, Internal Security, and Tax Law.
- Social Services: Recreational Management, Social Services Analysis, Corrections, Social Work, Volunteer Service, Management, and Community Research.
- Public Health: Health Services Management, Health Communications, Research and Planning, Outreach and Education, Public Relations, and Program Analysis.
A career in Public Administration is enhanced when matched with other fields of study available at RSU:
Ally Warren, B.A. Public Affairs
Political Event Consultant and Campaign Manager
“I chose a Political Science degree from RSU originally because of my interest in politics. However, I soon realized political science could be so much more than just an interest. The ideas, concepts, and knowledge I learned at RSU have already proven to be extremely useful in the year since I graduated. Having an understanding of how the world works is an invaluable tool and one that helps guide many of my decisions. I am a much better person, student, and citizen because of my Political Science degree.”