B.A. in Public Affairs
Option: Political Science
Option: Public Administration
Focus: Accounting and Budgeting
Focus: General Management
Focus: Human Resources Management
Focus: Media Communications
Focus: Research and Analysis
The Bachelor of Arts in Public Affairs is an interdisciplinary, professional degree for individuals who desire to work in, lead, and manage public organizations. Specifically, the program endeavors to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to:
- plan and implement programs that address the vexing problems confronting American communities;
- think critically, ethically, and practically about the purposes of public policy and how those policies can be improved;
- develop the understandings needed to work collaboratively with multiple sectors and diverse interests.
Public administrators implement and oversee policies at all levels of city, county, state and national governments. They are committed to creating innovative programs, delivering efficient and equitable services, and improving the lives of the people in their communities. Public administration is the work of developing and managing programs in government and nonprofit organizations and combines the skills of management with the ideals of American democracy.
“Each and every one of us has the capability to make a difference. I believe that individuals are more inclined to work harder for a cause that they believe in. I encourage students that are interested in serving in this fellowship to find something that they are passionate about and go all in.” Cade Russell Honored as Newman Civic Fellow
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Students will demonstrate an ability to analyze and critique a variety of approaches to understanding public policies.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge and understanding of different views regarding culture and society.
- Students will integrate public administration-oriented research into their understanding and practice of public administration.
Department Mission: The mission of the Department of History and Political Science is to support discipline-specific degree programs as well as the University’s general education program.
Degree Program Mission: The Bachelor of Arts Degree in Public Administration is designed to provide students with the organizational, administrative, and time management skills to excel in public service and nonprofit sectors.