Rogers State University is pleased to offer talent-based scholarships for musicians who participate in RSU’s music ensembles. The offer of scholarship is contingent on several factors:
- Incoming High School students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0, or its’ equivalent, in all high school work. Current RSU students or transfer students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 in collegiate coursework. Students with a GPA between 2.0 and 2.5 GPA will be placed on probation for one semester. If at the end of the probation
semester the student’s grades have not raised above 2.5 the student will become ineligible to receive a scholarship for the next Academic Year.
- Students must be enrolled full-time as defined by Rogers State University during the Academic Year in which they receive scholarships.
- Vocalists and instrumentalists of all types can be awarded scholarships. Each student awarded a scholarship must participate in at least one ensemble per academic semester. We are pleased to announce that we have received board approval for a variable credit option for all of our ensembles which allows a “0” credit option for students who do not need the credit hour to reach full-time status or for music minor requirements. This means that students may take the ensembles without being charged tuition for them on the “0” credit option. Current ensembles include: Jazz, Ensemble, Choir, Concert Band.
- Students awarded a band scholarship must participate in a band every semester and students awarded a choral scholarship must participate in choir every semester. Students may participate in both ensembles, but only ensembles in their category count towards the scholarship requirements.
- Students must be productive members of the ensembles in which they participate. Scholarship-bearing students are expected to attend all rehearsals and performances. They are also expected to be leaders in the ensembles in attitude and preparation. Lack of attendance in ensemble work could lead to loss of grade and/or removal from ensemble and/or loss of scholarship.
- Students will have to re-apply for a scholarship at the end of every academic year. Student aid may increase or decrease during each individual academic year based on their performance during the previous school year.
- RSU may be released from their scholarship commitment to a student at any time and for any reason outlined or not outlined in this document by the Director of Bands, the Department Head, or a member of Central Administration, including but not limited to the Dean of the School, Vice President, or President of the University.
- Students who fail to complete their obligation for a scholarship in any way during an academic year are ineligible to audition for a scholarship for the next academic year and may lose their award for the current year unless approved by the Director of Bands.
- Rogers State will have a limited supply of school instruments to issue to students playing certain cost prohibitive instruments. Students are able to check out these instruments at no cost provided they pay for any major damage occurring at the student’s fault. RSU repairs and maintains instruments for normal wear and tear.
- A minor in music has been approved for students at RSU. We are excited to announce that starting Fall 2014 we will have ADDITIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS available for students declaring a Music Minor (and signing up for the classes in the minor sequence). Students who are interested in the music minor are encouraged to contact Dr. Weller at the contact information below.
Scholarships will be in the form of tuition wavers for a set amount per semester. Credit amount will be based on Oklahoma residency amounts only, and based on on-ground tuition costs. Out-of-state, online, or television course costs, as well as course fees, will not be covered by these scholarship amounts. Scholarships are stackable with other financial aid, but cannot exceed the amount actually charged the student for tuition in a given semester. Scholarship levels are as follows:
- Level 1: $600 per semester | $1,200 per year
- Level 2: $400 per semester | $800 per year
- Level 3: $200 per semester | $400 per year
- Pep Band Stipends: Performance Grant Stipends are available to students interested in participating in the Pep Band in addition to another ensemble. To qualify for the stipend students must play at a minimum of half of the home game performances that the band does each season. Stipend monies will be disbursed after the end of the Basketball season. Students will be paid based on the number of games played at $20.00 per game. This scholarship is NOT a tuition waiver and is not limited to the tuition charged each semester, but can be added to all other scholarships a student might receive. All other scholarship guidelines listed above apply.
- Scholarship Recipient Notification: Recipients and non-recipients will be notified formally by mail and informally by phone and/or e-mail within approximately one month of the audition date. In order to disburse the award, Student ID numbers will be verified by the Director of Bands after notification of award. To increase future scholarship consideration, non-recipients are encouraged to participate in RSU’s musical ensembles with the same level of dedication as scholarship recipients. More funding in the future will allow for more assistance to the student body.