The Center for Teaching and Learning provides training to new faculty both full-time and adjunct in numerous modalities both face-to-face and web conferencing. Faculty are enrolled in a faculty-centered, self-paced training program offered through the learning management system and given the opportunity to complete the syllabus for your courses during the semester.

Web Accessibility

Web accessibility is incorporated as part of the New Faculty Orientation to assist those individuals with disabilities the opportunity to equal access course content, content, assessment trauma services, and much more.

Online Student Services

Training services provided for online students such as, ProctorU, and Turnitin allows the faculty to engage their students to enhance student outcomes.


New Faculty Orientation is a great opportunity to meet colleagues, make new connections, and learn about campus resources. In support of the university’s commitment to excellence in teaching and learning, and to help faculty get a great head start toward their first year at RSU, all new faculty members are invited to take part in the new faculty orientation. Check the Training Schedule to orientation training dates.

New Faculty Checklist


  • How am I to proportion my time in terms of teaching, research, and service (e.g., 40% research, 40% teaching, 20% service)?
  • During my first year of teaching, what expectations does my department hold for me in terms of teaching, research, and service (e.g., limited emphasis on research, greater focus on teaching, reduced participation on committees)? CLARIFY ahead of time.
  • What comprises my teaching load (e.g. advising, online teaching, number of courses, mentoring students)?
  • What support and how much time will I have for setting up my research?
  • How do I arrange my office hours and how many are required?  Does this change according to teaching load? 
  • What information is needed to process my pay?
  • What University benefits are available to me?

Note: University benefits will vary according to your terms of employment (e.g., health plan, pension, etc.). Talk to your department chair or contact your liaison designate in Human Resources (x7886) for more information.



  • Will I have a shared or personal telephone extension?
  • How do I receive and make in-coming and out-going calls (on and off campus)?
  • Does the department cover long distance charges (work/personal)?
  • How do I pay for any personal charges incurred?
  • Will I have shared or personal voice mail (if at all)?

Note: To place any out-going call you must first dial “9”.  All long distance calls must be followed by an approved personal long distance code. Check with your department head regarding this code. Information regarding how to set up and use your voice mail


  • Will I have access to or be supplied with a personal computer?
  • Will I have access to or be supplied with a personal computer?
  • What computer support facilities are available in the department? The University?
  • Does the department have a local network separate from the main University network?
  • How do I access the Internet or e-mail on campus or at home? 
  • Does the department have its own computer technician?

Note: Local support is not available in your department. Rogers State University has a central computing support facility called Academic Computing Services. They provide support for your desktop machine and all other hardware on campus. For web development assistance contact Kelli Fields.


  • Will I have/need keys to access my department off-hours?
  • Will I have/need keys to access my academic building off-hours?
  • Will I need keys to access A/V equipment or classrooms?

Note: Academic buildings with classrooms are normally open from 7 a.m. – 11 p.m. Other academic buildings that additionally house student residences and/or administrative offices may have different hours. Check with your department for access to departmental offices as well as information regarding activation and deactivation of building alarms.


  • Do I have a departmental mailbox to receive on-campus/off-campus mail?
  • What are departmental procedures for sending and receiving mail?
  • What are the procedures for courier mail? Billing?

Note: Check with your department for these procedures.


  • Do I have access to the departmental photocopier for teaching purposes?
  • Does the department/school secretary (support staff) photocopy teaching materials for instructors?
  • Is there a limit to the number of copies I can make at one time?
  • Is personal copying permissible? Charges?
  • What copying and printing facilities are available outside of the department?

Note: The Print Shop offers a variety of printing/copying services. Refer to your department for copying services of a smaller nature.


  • Where can I park?  
  • How much does parking cost?
  • How do I obtain a hang tag for my car? 
  • What if I have a visiting guest lecturer? Other circumstances?

Note: There is no designated parking area for faculty or staff.  Parking is on a first come basis. You are required to register your vehicle and must have a “hang-tag” in your vehicle. 

Departmental Support:

  • What support is available in preparing course handouts, materials, photocopying, etc.?
  • Does the department arrange mentors for new faculty?
  • Who should I contact for advice on departmental or teaching matters?
  • Does the department have a list of faculty who have previously taught the course(s) I am teaching? 
  • Is a course file available with past copies of syllabi, assignments and examinations, lecture notes, instructor comments, student information?


Audio/Visual Equipment:

  • What audio/visual equipment does my department offer?
  • How do I reserve? Policies and Procedures?
  • What equipment is available in each classroom?
  • The library offers a host of faculty and staff services and resources.


  • How do I obtain a library card?
  • How do I put course materials on reserve at the library? Are there any department or library procedures?
  • What library privileges do I have as a faculty member? 
  • What library support or education services are available?

Note: You will be provided access to loan services once activated by the library. It allows you to sign-out resources on a long-term basis. Placing course material on library reserve provides short-term access to materials by all students. Your department may also have copies. The library offers an education/orientation program each semester. 

Departmental/University Guidelines regarding Undergraduate Policies and Procedures?

  • Exam protocols?
  • Course Evaluations?
  • Classroom requests/changes?
  • Dropping and adding of courses by students?
  • Prerequisites?  Co-requisites (waiver forms)

Note: See the Academic Policies and Procedures manual. For further assistance see the Student Code of Responsibilities and Conduct.

Faculty Government:

  • What type of faculty governance is available on campus?
  • Will I be required to serve on any committees?