The Martin Luther King, Jr. Week of Service has become an important project at Rogers State University and a powerful tool by which RSU positively engages with the community to create change and improvement in the area.
Several student organizations and Student Affairs have created volunteer opportunities.
There will be two donation drives open all week.
RSU Social Justice League is partnering with an organization called the OK Messages Project.
- Their mission is to “Serve the children of incarcerated parents to maintain a healthy connection with parents and improve the child’s social, emotional, and educational outcomes.”
- All week, SJL will be collecting book donations with the goal of sending 150 books to the organization.
- Student Affairs and Prep Hall (second floor) will serve as collection points on campus.
- New books only – targeted ages for books 0-18 years.
Cookies for the Homeless
- Sponsored by Dr. Chissy Whiting-Madison and her daughters girls scout group.
- The goal of the project is to raise funds to distribute cookies to the homeless in our area.
- The purpose of the project is to show love and compassion to some of the most vulnerable people in our community.
- Student Affairs office will service as a collection point for donations.
RSU’s goals is to promote and encourage student, faculty, staff, and community interaction in a positive academic climate that creates opportunities for cultural, intellectual, and personal enrichment for the University and the communities it serves.