Rogers State University instrumental music groups will be holding a spring concert at 7:30 p.m., Monday, Apr. 28, in the Will Rogers Auditorium on the Claremore campus.
Members of the Jazz Ensemble and the Concert Band will perform a variety of pieces during the event, which will be free and open to the public.
The RSU colony of Kappa Kappa Psi, the nation honorary band fraternity, will be collecting canned food items at the door benefitting RSU Residential Life’s “Food For Thought,” a food pantry for RSU students who might be having difficulty putting nutritious food on the table.
The band fraternity also will host a reception immediately following the concert in the auditorium lobby.
The RSU Jazz Ensemble will perform seven pieces including “In a Mellow Tone” and “Satin Doll” made famous by Duke Ellington, as well as compositions from “The Blues Brothers,” a 1980 American musical comedy movie starring John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd.
The Concert Band will perform several selections, including John Philip Sousa’s “The Black Horse Troop” march. Written in 1924, it was first performed at the Sousa Band’s concert in the Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio. The Concert Band will also perform “A House Divided” and “With Malice Toward None,” a pair of musical tributes to President Lincoln. RSU Professor Dr. Hugh Foley will provide the narration for the second arrangement.
Participation in RSU musical groups is open to RSU students and community members.
Performers with the Jazz Ensemble, listed by hometown, are:
- Chelsea: Gary Paul
- Claremore: Daniel Dake, Derek Hansen, Erin Heraghty
- Collinsville: Katelynn Davis, Sara Little, AJ Richburg, Jay Richburg
- Foyil: Dusty Levesque
- Inola: Chris Mann, Nick Murphy
- Sperry: Anna Goss, Brandon Rader
- Tulsa: Caleb Demarais
- Verdigris: Sarah Groover
Members of the Concert Band, listed by hometown, are:
- Adair: Courtney Hibbard
- Chelsea: Gary Paul, Sam McKay, Nathan Sanders, Duane Watkins
- Claremore: Alex Agnew, Erika Brown, Kolton Corr, Daniel Dake, Erin Heraghty, Alan Lawless, Becky McDaniel, JoAnn M. Sample, Phil Sample
- Clevland: Bethany Henley
- Collinsville: Katelynn Davis, AJ Richburg
- Foyil: Mikayla Dunham, Shelby Hubbard, Zack Hubbard, Robbie Moore, Ray Overton, Chance Van Sandt
- Inola: Chris Mann
- Oologah: Ty Brooks, Summer Shaffer
- Owasso: Haley MacFarland, Stuart Martin
- Ochelata: Kilee Panick, Molly Panick
- Sperry: Anna Goss
For more information about the concert or the music program, contact Kirk J. Weller at 918-343-7723.