Rogers State University & Claremont Elementary School
Partners in Education
More than 100 years ago, the institution presently known as RSU was established at the current site of Claremont Elementary School.
In 1909, Eastern Preparatory School, which prepared young people for college, began operation in the old Claremont Building at that location. The school later moved to its present location on "College Hill."
The mission of the Rogers State University Hillcub Program is to enhance the educational attainment, social awareness and quality of life of Claremont Elementary School students.
- To enhance the social and cultural development of Claremont Elementary School students through exposure to a university environment and interaction with college students and faculty.
- To increase scholastic test scores of Claremont Elementary School students.
- To enhance learning and advance aptitude in math and reading of Claremont Elementary School students.
- To acquaint Claremont Elementary School students with the collegiate environment and encourage them to feel comfortable on a college campus.
- To educate Claremont Elementary School students on the importance of attending college.
- To increase the number of Claremont Elementary School students who earn a high school diploma.
- To increase the number of Claremont Elementary School students who are college-bound.
- To help Claremont Elementary School students discover possible college major and career possibilities.
- To enhance the education of Claremont Elementary School students in all disciplines including math, reading, science, art and civics.
Ways to Get Involved
- Lunch Buddies:
RSU students have lunch with Claremont students and encourage them to focus on their studies and prepare for college.
- Reading Day: RSU faculty, staff and students read to a classroom or group of kids.
- Maintenance Day:
RSU physical plant employees assist Claremont school with grounds maintenance and building repairs.
- Paws for Pupils:
RSU students and faculty provide one-on-one tutoring in math and reading, disciplines in which Claremont students need assistance.
- Gym Days:
RSU student-athletes instruct Claremont students in athletics, including basketball, soccer, baseball and other sports.
- Elementary Education Observation Program:
RSU and Cameron University elementary education majors fulfill requirements for their degree at Claremont.
- Supply Drives:
Back-to-school supplies and holiday food assistance.
- RSU Day:
Claremont students spend time on the RSU campus, touring biology labs, RSU Public Television and RSU Radio stations and other academic facilities.
- RSU Game Night:
Students and families of Claremont Elementary School can attend designated RSU men’s and women’s basketball games free of charge.
- RSU Participation in Claremont Events:
Including school carnivals, kickball tournament and track and field days.
- Class Adoptions:
RSU student organizations adopt Claremont classes to provide any assistance needed.