STUDENT HEALTH CENTER
Would you smoke if you knew?
- Smoking kills more Americans each year than any of these combined. (American Cancer Society)
- car accidents
- illegal drugs
- Nicotine is actually more addictive than heroin (Surgeon General Coop 1988)
- Even 30 minutes of secondhand smoke exposure daily can cause heart damage similar to that of a habitual smoker.
- People who are exposed to daily secondhand smoke have a 30% higher death and disease rate than that of non-smokers.
- Babies and children raised in a household where there is smoking have more ear infections, colds, bronchitis, and other respiratory problems than children from non-smoking families.
- It is estimated that secondhand smoke causes 3,000 lung cancer deaths and more than 50,000 coronary heart disease deaths every year.
- (Surgeon General's 2006 Report)
- Smoking damages nearly every organ in the human body, is linked to at least 15 different cancers), and accounts for some 30% of all cancer deaths. (American Cancer Society)
For information on smoking cessation contact:
RSU Student Health Center