Name: Don Glass
Email: [email protected]
Phone Number: 918-343-7701
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: Loshbaugh Hall, Room 202
M.S., Zoology and Science Education
Northeastern State University, Tahlequah, OK
B.S., Zoology and Environmental Science
East Central University, Ada OK
Claremore Jr. College (now Rogers State University), Claremore, OK
2001-Present, Assistant Professor of Biology
1993-1994, Department Head, Department of Biology
1980-2001, Instructor, Department of Biology
1979-1980, Part-time Instructor, Department of Biology (Claremore Community College)
Rogers State University, Claremore, OK
1976-1977, Respiratory Therapist Technician
Valley View Hospital, Ada, OK
Honors & Awards
- Rogers State University Teacher of the Year by Lambda Upsilon (2001-2001).
- Mulitple year recipient of Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers—this award is by nomination by students and multi-recipients make up only 2% of the teaching population in the United States.
- International Who’s Who of Professionals (2000).
- Achievement Awards from Patuxent Wildlife Research Center (January 2000 and 2002) for twenty years of superior service and completion of 50 Breeding Bird Surveys.
- Outstanding Service to the Board of Directors of South-Central Partnership in Environmental Technology Education (1996-1998).
- Certificate of Appreciation from the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (1995).
- Three time recipient of the Pfizer Excellence in Teaching Award (1986, 1993, and 1994).
- Received faculty research grant for the Effects of lighting on bird mortality at communication towers.
- I currently hold a federal bird banding permit (21138-D) and a scientific collecting permit (3891).
- I’m presently working on a Ph.D. program in Natural Resources and Ecological Management at Oklahoma State University. Expected date of completion will be 2010.
- Research for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Three-field research projects for the Breeding Bird Survey, beginning April 1977 to present. The Breeding Bird Survey began in 1964 and is one of the longest running projects to monitor avian population trends. This information is used to determine species of declining concern and determine “hot spots” of avian decline.
- Acted as a reviewer for “A Field Guide to Oklahoma’s Amphibians and Reptiles” by Seivert and Sievert, published in 2005.
- Three years participate in Oklahoma’s Birding Bird Atlas Project. This is a statewide project sponsored by Sutton Avian Research Center and the Oklahoma Biological Survey and resulted in a publication pertaining to the distribution of summer birds in Oklahoma.
- Four year participate in Oklahoma’s Winter Bird Atlas Project. This is a similar project to the Breeding Bird Atlas but is looking at the distribution of winter birds in Oklahoma.
- Member of the Oklahoma Ornithological Society Executive Board (1997-present). I was archivist for the society form 1997 to 2001 and from 2001 to present I have acted as the Membership/Circulation Chair.
- International Wildlife Society Meeting Anchorage Alaska (sponsored 4 students from the biology club to also attend this meeting).
- Participated in the McGraw-Hill Biology for Majors Workshop.
Service to the Institution:
During my 28 years of service to Rogers State University, I have served Faculty Senate, Technology Committee, Research Committee, Marketing Committee, Library Committee, Four Hiring Committee, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Academic Efficiencies Committee and Workshop, Mission Statement and Program Planning Committee, Strategic Planning Committee.
Service to the Profession and Public:
- Oklahoma Ornithological Society—life member and member of Executive Board (1997-present). I was the archivist for the society from 1997 to 2001 and from 2001 to present I have acted as the Membership/Circulation Chair.
- Initial Steering Committee for the Oklahoma Partner’s in Flight Organization PETE (Partnership in Environmental Technology Education)—On the Board of Directors for South- Central PETE from 1996-1998. Member 1999-present.
- Oklahoma Ornithological Society—life member
- Initial Steering Committee for the Oklahoma Partner’s in Flight Organization
- PETE (Partnership in Environmental Technology Education)—member
- Oklahoma Academy of Sciences—member
- Inland Bird Banding Association—life member
- Association of Field Ornithologist—member
- Wilson Ornithological Society—member
Oklahoma Wetland Plants 1996. Rogers County Conservation District’s Wetland Workshop at RSU Conservation Education Reserve.
Pfizer Award Presentation 1993. Neotropical Migratory Birds; What are they and why are they declining (Rogers State University MAPS project). This presentation was a campus presentation on current bird research being performed at Rogers State University’s Conservation Education Reserve.
Thesis presentation 1983. Effects of Band Types on Gray Bats (Myotis grisescens) and Eastern Pipistrelles(Pipistrellus subflavus) at Oklahoma Academy of Science Fall Technical Meeting.