Department of Psychology, Sociology & Criminal Justice
Dr. Abe Marrero
Department Head and Professor
Preparatory Hall, Room 313 B
- Ph.D., Biological Psychology
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center,
Oklahoma City, OK,
- M.S., Biological Psychology
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center,
Oklahoma City, OK,
- M.Ed., Natural Sciences
Southwestern Oklahoma State University,
- B.S., Biology
- 2012-Present, Professor
- 1999-Present: Department Head, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- 1999-2012: Associate Professor
Rogers State University, Claremore, OK
- Coordinate and manage departmental activities to include but not limited to strategic planning, program effectiveness, personnel management including promotion and tenure evaluations, academic scheduling, program assessment, curricular issues, budget resources, facilities utilization, and student recruiting and retention. Teach undergraduate psychology and general education courses to include Introduction to Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Physiological Psychology, Human Sexuality, and Psychology of Gender. Perform academic advising for department majors.
- 1995-1999, Assistant Professor of Psychology, Psychology Department
William Jewell College, Liberty, MO
- Prepare and teach psychology classes to undergraduate students, including Basic Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Personal Adjustment, Behavior Modification, Physiological Psychology, and Neuropsychopharmacology. Advise psychology majors and serve on committees (e.g., Curriculum, Educational Policy Committee) in the governance of the college.
- 1994-1995, Adjunct Faculty, Science Department
Oklahoma City Community College,
Oklahoma City, OK
- Taught General Biology with laboratory, Concepts of Science, Introduction to Nutrition, and General Biology courses on Talk-Back Television (TBTV) transmitting to five remote sites via satellite.
- 1993-1994, Adjunct Faculty, Department of Behavioral Sciences and Sociology
Redlands Community College, E Reno, OK
- Taught Elements of Psychology, Introduction to Sociology, and Counseling Psychology to undergraduate students.
- Silver Pen (Honorable Mention) award for “literary achievements while assigned to CGSC.” Significant articles (silver) category.
- Bronze Pen (Honorable Mention) award for “literary achievements while assigned to CGSC.” Significant book review, op-ed piece, or letter to editor (bronze) category.
- Selected for inclusion in Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers (2004, 2005, 2006)
- Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psychology (2003)
- Nominee, Advisor of the Year, William Jewell College (1999)
- Regent’s Award, Applied/Clinical Research, Graduate Education Research Day, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
- Patricia Roberts Harris Fellow
- Oklahoma Hispanic Professional Association Scholar
- President’s List, Southwestern Oklahoma State university
- Dean’s List, Cameron University
- American Psychological Society
- 2004, Received a grant from the RSU Organized Research Grant Program to fund a study on cultural-based approaches to substance abuse prevention in American Indian populations ($1010).
- 2004, Received a grant from Oklahoma EPSCoR, Oklahoma Regents for Higher Education, for study of the interaction between cortisol, stress, and the immune system.
- 2003, Received a grant from the RSU Organized Research Grant Program to fund a project entitled “Mental Acute Stress Reveals Cortisol as a Possible Trigger for Release of SIgA” ($2598).
- 1993-1995, Grant funded from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (Minority Investigator Research Supplement) on study of influence of caffeine on psychological stress and hemodynamics ($273, 801).
- Marrero, A.F. (2007). Hezbollah as a Non-State Actor in the Second Lebanon War: An Operational Analysis, Combat Studies Institute 2007 Military History Symposium, 11 - 13 September, 2007 at Ft. Leavenworth, KS.
- Marrero, A.F. (2006). Acute Mental Stress as a Precursor for SIgA Release. Paper presented at the 9th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences (AABSS), Las Vegas, Nevada, February, 2006.
- Stoner, R. & Marrero, A.F. (2005). Can Jumping Mouse Reach the Land of Recovery? Poster presented at the Southwestern Psychological Association Annual meeting, March, 2005 in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Candy-Fire, J., Stoner, R., & Marrero, A.F. (2005). Towards a Cultural-Based Approach to Substance Abuse Prevention in the American Indian Population. Presented at the 8th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences (AABSS), Las Vegas, Nevada, February, 2005.
- Candy-Fire, J., Stoner, R., & Marrero, A.F. (2004). Can Jumping Mouse Reach the Land of Recovery? Poster presented at the Oklahoma Undergraduate Research Day, University of Central Oklahoma, October 29, 2004.
- Kirk, J. & Marrero, A.F. (2004). Towards a Biopsychological Approach in Substance Abuse Treatment. Award winning student research poster presentation at Research Day at the Capital, Oklahoma EPSCoR, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education.
- Marrero, A.F. (2003). Shake and Bake: How to Create a Viable Four Year Interdisciplinary Degree in 60 Days or Less. Paper presented at Concurrent Session, Association of American Colleges and Universities, Pedagogies of Engagement Conference, April 15-17, 2004, Chicago, Illinois.
- Marrero, A.F. (2002). Parentis Vociferous: Parental Behavior at Youth Soccer Events. Annual meeting of the American Association of Social and Behavioral Sciences, February, 2002, Las Vegas, NV.
- Marrero, A.F. (1999). The Apocalypse of Western Society – Stress & the Common Cold of Mental Illness – Depression. Conference presentations at the Missouri Baptist Convention Pastor Preaching Week, Windermere, MO.
- Marrero, A.F. (1996). Feast or Famine: the Neurobiology of Dieting and Implications for Depression. Paper presented for the Faculty Paper Series, William Jewell College, Liberty, MO.
- Marrero, A.F., Mustafa, A., Pincomb, G.A., & Lovallo, W.R. (1994). Hemodynamic Responses to Mental Stress in Men at Risk for Hypertension. Paper presented at the Thirty-fourth Annual Meeting of the Society for Psychophysiological Research, October 5-9, 1994, in Atlanta, GA.
- Marrero, A.F., Mustafa, A., Pincomb, G.A., & Lovallo, W.R. (1994). Borderline Hypertension: Hemodynamic Basis for Elevated Blood Pressures during Behavioral Stress. Paper presented at the Fifteenth Anniversary Meeting of The Society of Behavioral Medicine, March, 1994 in Boston, MA.
- Marrero, A.F. & Lovallo, W.R. (1993). Men at Risk for Hypertension Show Elevated Vascular Resistance at Rest and during Mental Arithmetic. Graduate Education Research Day, April, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK.
- Marrero, A.F. & Lovallo, W.R. (1993). Elevated Systemic Vascular Resistance Characterizes Persons at High Risk for Hypertension during Mental Challenges. Paper presented at the Cardiovascular
Epidemiology/Biostatistics and Behavioral Medicine Session, 33rd Annual American Heart Association Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology, Santa Fe, NM.
- Marrero, A. F. (2008). Hezbollah as a Non-State Actor in the Second Lebanon War: An Operational Analysis, the Proceedings of the Combat Studies Institute 2007 Military History Symposium.
- Marrero, A.F. (2007). The Fourth Dimension: The Israel-Hezbollah Clash and The Shape of Wars to Come, Armed Forces Journal, May, 32-35.
- Marrero, A.F. (2001). Parentis Vociferous: Parental Behavior at Youth Soccer Events. Perspectives Journal, Fall, American Association of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Mustafa, A., Buchanan, T. W., Marrero, A. F., & Lovallo, W. R. (1999). Sex Differences in Pain Perception and Cardiovascular Responses in Persons with Parental History for Hypertension. Pain, 83(2), 331-338.
- Marrero, A.F. (1997). Insights into Psychopathology. American Heritage Custom Publishing, a division of Forbes Inc.
- Marrero, A.F., Mustafa, A., Pincomb, G.A., & Lovallo, W.R. (1997). Men at Risk for Hypertension Show Elevated Vascular Resistance at Rest and during Mental Stress. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 25(3), 185-192.
- Marrero, A.F., Mustafa, A., & Lovallo, W.R. (1994). Hemodynamic Responses to Mental Stress in Men at Risk for Hypertension. Psychophysiology, 31, (Suppl) S-21.
- Everson, S.A., Bernardy, N.C., Sausen, K.P., Marrero, A.F., & Lovallo, W.R. (1991). Risk for Hypertension and the “White-Coat” Effect. Psychophysiology,28, (Suppl) S-21.
Other Scholarly Activities
- 2005, Reviewed Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda, (Sean Naylor) as part of the university’s Library Literary Review series.
- 2004, Selected by the RSU President as the institutional representative for the Oklahoma Scholar-Leadership Enrichment Program (OSLEP).
- 2003, Served on a National Science Foundation (NSF) Panel as a reviewer for proposals submitted to the NSF Computer Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Scholarships (CSEMS) program.
- 2002, Reviewed two chapters of Coon’s Introduction to Psychology: Gateways to Mind and Behavior, 10th edition.
- 2005, Channel 8 Evening News, Tulsa ABC TV affiliate, on profiling of serial criminals.
- 1997, KCTV-5 Family Health with Ann Peterson.
- 1995, Inside Edition on the Murrah Building Bombing in Oklahoma City, OK.
- 1995, Mental Health Coordinator for Red Cross during the Murrah Federal Building bombing in Oklahoma City.
- 1985-2005, Youth Soccer Coach and certified referee for various community soccer clubs.