Department of History & Political Science
Dr. Sigismond Wilson
Baird Hall, Room 219K
Michigan State University
The University of Georgia
B.A. Hons. Geography
Fourah Bay College,
University of Sierra Leone
2011-Present, Assistant Professor
Rogers State University, Claremore, OK
2010-2011, Assistant Professor
Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
2004-2010, Online Teaching Instructor/Teaching Assistant
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Human Geography, World Regional Geography, Military Geography, World Ecological Problems, World Geography, People & the Environment, Introduction to Physical Geography
- Association of American Geographers (AAG)
- Africa Specialty Group- AAG
- African Studies Association (ASA)
- Gamma Theta Upsilon (GTU)
- The Spatial and Social Impacts of Sierra Leone's Civil War 1991 to 2001 (Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken, 2011).
- Diamonds Exploitation in Sierra Leone 1930 to 2010: A Resource Curse? GeoJournal, 78 (2013), 997-1012.
- Company-Community Conflicts over Diamond Resources in Kono District Sierra Leone, Society and Natural Resources: An International Journal 26(3), 2013, 254-269.
- Whose Minerals, Whose Development? Rhetoric and Reality in Post-Conflict Sierra Leone, Development and Change 43(5), 2012, 1103-1131.
- Modeling the impacts of civil war on land use and land cover change within Kono District, Sierra Leone: A socio-geospatial approach, Geocarto International 28(6), 2013, 476-501.
- Sierra Leone's Illicit Diamonds: The Challenges and the Way Forward, GeoJournal 76(3), 2011, 191-212.
Sociospatial Geographies of Civil War in Sierra Leone and the New Global Diamond Order: Is the Kimberley Process the Panacea?
- Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 27(6), 2009, 1107-1130.
- On the Causes of Sierra Leone's Civil War: A Comparative Analysis." Journal of Development Alternatives and Area Studies 26(4), 2007, 50-69.
- Civil War and Displacement: The Case of Sierra Leone." Journal of Development Alternatives and Area Studies 25(3), 2006, 103-128.
- Unruh, J., Williams, C. (eds). 2013. Land and Post-Conflict Peacebuilding in Progress in Physical Geography 38(3), 2014, 378-380.
- Solem, M., Foote. K. & Monk, J. (eds). (2009). Aspiring Academic: A Resource Book for Graduate Students and Early Career Faculty. Research In Geographic Education 13(1), 2011, 50-52
- 2014 "An Investigation into the Role of Anthropogenic Drivers on Changes in Land Cover and Land Use in Tulsa Metropolitan Area. A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers in Tampa, Florida.
- 2013 "Corporate Mining and Land Cover Change: a Geospatial Analysis of Rutile Mining in Sierra Leone." A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers in Los Angeles, California.
- 2012 "Corporate Mining in Post-Civil War Sierra Leone: A Panacea for Economic Growth and Community Development?" A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 2012 "Modeling the Interface between Mining, Agriculture, Forest Extraction and Land Cover Change in Post Conflict Sierra Leone." A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers in New York City, New York.
- 2011 "Challenges for food security in post-conflict Sierra Leone." A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association in Washington D.C.
- 2011 "Industrial Mining and Community Development in Sierra Leone: The Law, Community Expectations and Reality." A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers in Seattle, Washington.
- 2010 "Land Use/Land Cover Change in Kono District, Eastern Sierra Leone, was the Civil Conflict a Driving Force?" A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers in Washington D.C.
- 2009 "Diamonds in Sierra Leone, a Resource Curse?" A poster presented at the New Faces for African Development session, European Report on Development Conference, Accra, Ghana.
- 2009 "Diamond Conflicts in Kono District Sierra Leone: An Actor-Oriented Political Ecology" A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- 2008 "Conflicts over Diamond Exploitation: The Case of Kono District, Sierra Leone" A paper presented at the 51st Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association in Chicago, Illinois.
- 2007 "The New Global Diamond Order and Post-Civil War Sierra Leone: Is the Kimberly Process the panacea?" A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers in San Francisco, California.
- 2005 "The New Global Diamond Order and Post Civil-War Sierra Leone: Is the Kimberly Process A Naked Emperor?" A paper presented at the 48th Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association, Washington D.C.
- 2005 "The Impact of Conflict on Land Use and Livelihood system in Northern Kenya and North-Eastern Uganda." A paper presented at the East Lakes Division of the Association of American Geographers, Bowling Green University, Ohio.
- MSU Graduate School Dissertation Completion Fellowship 2009
- Compton's Africa Peace Fellowship 2007
- MSU Pre-dissertation Fellowship 2006
- MSU Bio-complexity Fellowship 2005
- Mildred B. Erickson Fellowship 2005
- Member, History Search Committee 2012-2013 & 2013 -2014
- Member, RSU School of Liberal Arts Curriculum Committee 2011 – Present
- Member, Rogers State University Curriculum Committee 2011 – Present