Department of History & Political Science
Dr. Jane Johansson
Follow Dr. Johansson's Blog
- Ph.D., American History
University of North Texas, Denton, TX,
Dissertation: Peculiar Honor: A History of the 28th Texas Cavalry (dismounted), Walker's Texas Division, 1862-1865
- M.S., Library Science
University of North Texas, Denton, TX,
- B.A., History
Oklahoma Baptist University, Shawnee, OK,
- Johansson, M. Jane. "Daniel Weisiger Adams: Defender of the Confederacy's Heartland" in Lawrence Lee Hewitt and Arthur W. Bergeron, Jr., eds. Confederate Generals in the Western Theater: Essays on America's Civil War. Vol. 3. Knoxville: The University of Tennessee Press, 2011.
- Johansson, M. Jane. "Daniel Weisiger Adams" in Bruce S. Allardice and Lawrence Lee Hewitt, eds. Kentuckians in Gray: Confederate Generals and Field Officers of the Bluegrass State. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2008
- Gragert, Stephen K. and M. Jane Johansson, eds. The Papers of Will Rogers: The Final Years, August 1928-August 1935. Vol. 5. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2006.
- Johansson, M. Jane. "Gibson's Louisiana Brigade During the 1864 Tennessee Campaign." Tennessee Historical Quarterly 64 (Fall 2005): 186-195.
- Gragert, Stephen K. and M. Jane Johansson, eds. The Papers of Will Rogers: From Broadway to the National Stage, September 1915-July 1928. Vol. 4. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2005.
- Widows by the Thousand: The Civil War Letters of Theophilus and Harriet Perry, 1862-1864. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 2000.
- Peculiar Honor: A History of the 28th Texas Cavalry, 1862-1865. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 1998.
- Johansson, Jane Harris and David H. Johansson. "Two 'Lost' Battle Reports: Horace Randal's and Joseph L. Brent's Reports of the Battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill, 8 and 9 April 1864." Military History of the West 23 (Fall 1993): 169-180.
- Bushwhacking on a Grand Scale: The Battle of Chickamauga, September 18-20, 1863. By William Lee White, Civil War Book Review, online journal. See review.
- Richard Taylor and the Red River Campaign of 1864, by Samuel W. Mitcham, Jr. Chronicles of Oklahoma. V. XCI (Spring 2013): 113-115.
- Tejanos in Gray: Civil War Letters of Captains Joseph Rafael De La Garza and Manual Yturri. Edited by Jerry Thompson. Chronicles of Oklahoma, v. LXXXIX (Winter 2011-2012): 500-502.
- A Just and Righteous Cause: Benjamin H. Grierson's Civil War Memoir. edited by Bruce J. Dinges and Shirley A. Leckie and A Wisconsin Yankee in Confederate Bayou Country: The Civil War Reminiscences of a Union General. edited by Samuel C. Hyde, Jr. and A Soldier's Letters to Charming Nellie, by J. B. Polley of Hood's Texas Brigade. edited by Richard B. McCaslin and Memoirs of the Stuart Horse Artillery Battalion: Moorman's and Hart's Batteries. edited by Robert J. Trout and Lee's Last Casualty: The Life and Letters of Sgt. Robert W. Parker, Second Virginia Cavalry. edited by Catherine M. Wright and The Good Fight That Didn't End: Henry P. Goddard's Accounts of Civil War and Peace. edited by Calvin Goddard Zon. The Journal of Southern History, v. LXXVII (November 2011): 985-988.
- Shiloh and Corinth: Sentinels of Stone, by Timothy T. Isbell. Louisiana History, v. LI (Winter 2010): 102-104.
- Troubled State: Civil War Journals of Franklin Archibald Dick, edited by Gari Carter. Kansas History: A Journal of the Central Plains, v. 32 (Spring 2009): 86.
- No Pardons to Ask, nor Apologies to Make: The Journal of William Henry King, Gray's 28th Louisiana Infantry Regiment, edited by Gary D. Joiner, Marilyn S. Joiner, and Clifton D. Cardin. Military History of the West, v. 37 (2007): 116-117.
- Chimborazo: The Confederacy's Largest Hospital, by Carol C. Green. Tennessee Historical Quarterly, v. 64 (Fall 2005): 252-253.
- In the Saddle with the Texans: Day-by-Day with Parsons's Cavalry Brigade, 1862-1865. edited by Anne J. Bailey. See review at H-NET CIV-WAR.
- Keep All My Letters: The Civil War Letters of Richard Henry Brooks, 51st Georgia Infantry, edited by Katherine Holland and A Confederate Yankee: The Journal of Edward William Drummond, A Confederate Soldier from Maine, edited by Roger S. Durham. Georgia Historical Quarterly, v. 89 (Spring 2005): 122-124.
- One Damn Blunder from Beginning to End: The Red River Campaign of 1864, by Gary Dillard Joiner. Military History of the West, v. 33 (2003): 47-48
- Struggle for the Heartland: The Campaigns from Fort Henry to Corinth by Stephen D. Engle. Historians of the Civil War Western Theater online journal.
- Rutherford B. Hayes: "One of the Good Colonels," by Ari Hoogenboom. Military History of the West 31, No. 1 (Spring 2001): 78-79.
- This Grand Spectacle: The Battle of Chattanooga, by Steven Woodworth. Military History of the West 31, No. 1 (Spring 2001): 74-75.
- Six Armies in Tennessee: The Chickamauga and Chattanooga Campaigns, by Steven E. Woodworth. Southwestern Historical Quarterly 103 (January 2000): 386-387.
- More Generals in Gray, by Bruce Allardice. Civil War Regiments: A Journal of the American Civil War 5, no. 1: 163-165.
- April '65: Confederate Covert Action in the Civil War by William A. Tidwell. Civil War Regiments: A Journal of the American Civil War 5, no. 1: 168-170.
- With Grant & Meade: From the Wilderness to Appomattox by Theodore Lyman. Civil War Regiments: A Journal of the American Civil War 4, no. 2: 139-140.
- Chairman, American Civil War session. Mid-America Conference on History, Springfield, MO, September 2008.
- "'A position in this regiment will be one of peculiar honor': The 28th Texas Cavalry and Its Men," The Civil War West of the Mississippi Conference, Springfield, MO, November 2007.
- "Gibson's Louisiana Brigade during the Nashville Campaign," Battle of Nashville Symposium, Nashville, TN, December 2004.
- "'This is a time for brave hearts': Theophilus Perry of Walker's Division," Texas State Historical Association, Houston, TX, March 2001.
- Who's Who in American Education (2005)
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers (2004)
- Ottis Lock Endowment Award for Best Book of the Year on East Texas, East Texas Historical Association (1999)
- Who's Who of American Women (1998)
- Arts and Sciences Dean's Dissertation Award for Research Achievement in the Arts, Humanities, or Social Sciences, University of North Texas (1994)
- Hatton B. Sumner Dissertation Fellowship, University of North Texas (1991-1992)
- Presentation titled "Albert C. Ellithorpe and the War West of the Mississippi" given at the Springfield (Missouri) Civil War Round Table, July 2013.
- Presentation titled "'A position in this regiment will be one of peculiar honor': The 28th Texas Cavalry and Its Men" given at the Houston Civil War Round Table on November 16, 2006.
- Humanities chairperson, Pryor Area Arts and Humanities Council (1995-2001).
- Administered an annual $3,000 Local Affiliates grant awarded by the Oklahoma Humanities Council.
- Community speaker, (1994)
- Various programs given for Friends of the Library (Pryor), Lion's Club (Pryor), Mayes County Writing Club, PEO (Pryor, Shawnee, and Tahlequah), Presbyterian Women (Pryor), Rotary Club (Pryor), Tulsa Civil War Round Table, United Daughters of the Confederacy (Tulsa) and United Methodist Women (Pryor).