Department of Fine Arts
Dr. Kirk J. Weller
Assistant Professor and
Director of Bands
Baird Hall, Room 217F
Dr. Weller's Bio
- D.M.A., Instrumental Music (Conducting Emphasis)
Arizona State University, 1987
Dissertation: Sound Sources in Successful College Instrumental Conducting Programs
- M.M., Music Education (Conducting Emphasis)
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 1982
Terminal Project: A Videotape Instructional Tool on Basic Marching Band Techniques
- California Teacher Certification; K-12 Music
Georgia Clear Renewable Teaching Certificate Type T-7; Music P-12
- B.A., Music
California State University, Chico, CA, 1975
- 2010-Present, Director of Bands and Assistant Professor of Music
Rogers State University, Claremore, OK
- 2006-2010, Director of Bands
Paso Robles High School, Paso Robles, CA
- 2004-2006, Director of Instrumental Music and Associate Professor of Music
Vanguard University of Southern California, Costa Mesa, CA
- 1999-2003, Director of Bands and Assistant Professor of Music
North Georgia College & State University, Dahlonega, GA
- 1991-1999, Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Music
Fairmont State College, Fairmont, WV
- 1989-1991, Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Music
Prince George’s Community College, Largo, MD
- 1987-1989, Director of University Bands and Assisstant Professor of Music
University of Arkansas at Monticello, Monticello, AR
- 1986-1987, Graduate Teaching Assistant, Music Education & Grad. Internships, Marching & Symphonic Band
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
- 1984-1985, Director of Bands and Instructor of Music
Fort Lewis College, Durango, CO
- 1980-1984, Director of Instrumental Music
Dunwoody H.S., Dunwoody, GA
1977-1980, Director of Music
John F. Kennedy H.S., Richmond, CA
- 1976-1977, Instrumental Music Teacher
Willits H.S., Willits, CA
- 1976, Summer Instructor for Fine Arts Summer School Music Camp
Mt. Diablo Unified Schools, Concord, CA
Honors/Performance & Conducting Seminars and Experiences
- CBDNA Conducting Symposium at University of Colorado, Boulder, June 2002 - one of select group chosen to be Conductor/participant studying with Dr. Alan McMurray & Dr. Gary Hill.
- Guest Clinician/Conductor to public school bands in Georgia, West Virginia, Arizona, Arkansas, and Maryland. Guest Conductor, 1992 Harrison County, WV All-County Honor Band.
- Named to Chairmanship of CBDNA Small College Bands Task Force for 1995-2006. Coordinated development of descriptive survey on small college bands and presented results at 1997 CBDNA Conference in Athens GA.
- 1996 MENC National Conference – Presented a paper on the development of a Computer-Assisted-Instruction program for improving score reading entitled "Converting the MLR Score Reading Program to C.A.I." as a part of the Focus Session "New Visions for Music Teacher Education II."
- Saxophone Master Class Participant with Dr. Frederick Hemke, Northwestern University, 1982.
Conducting Seminar Participant with John P. Paynter, Northwestern University, 1980 - 1982.
- College Band Directors National Association; National Association for Music Education (formerly Music Educators National Conference); Oklahoma Music Educators Association.
- Past member of: Kappa Kappa Psi, Theta Sigma Chapter (FSC) Advisor. Beta Omicron Chapter Honorary Member (ASU). Zeta Zeta Chapter Honorary Member (UAM) Advisor. West Virginia, Maryland, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, and Georgia Music Educators Associations; Arizona, Colorado, and Georgia Association of Jazz Educators; National Association of Jazz Educators; Arkansas Bandmasters Association; Four States Bandmasters Association; Arkansas School Band and Orchestra Directors Association; California Band Directors Association.