Mr. Lee Williams
Baird Hall, Room 221F
Personal Web Page
- M.A., Communications
University of Illinois
- Poynter Institute News Management Seminars
Substantial knowledge of broadcast law, management and community service.
- B.A., Broadcast Journalism and Speech
(Summa cum laude)
University of North Texas
- 2011-Present: Assistant Professor, Department of Communications
2006-2011: Instructor, Department of Communications
Rogers State University, Claremore, OK
ABC, NBC News and The Weather Channel
Coordinated coverage of the Joplin, tornado, Picher, OK tornado, Miami, OK flooding, Texas/Oklahoma grassfires, school murder conspiracy, Oklahoma City bombing follow-ups, and other regional stories.
- 2006-Present: Interim Executive Director
Managed the non-profit organization that funds Crime Stoppers, media spokesman, public speaker, created a new Crime Commission web site, and served on the Crime Commission Board of Directors for six years.
Led news team to ratings wins and top awards including top rated ABC late news in America for five years, all newscasts among ABC Top 10. Managed multi-million dollar budget and large staff.
News Director, WAND TV
St. Louis, MO
Oversaw large staff supervising primetime promotions and all phases of news coverage. Created new format and graphics. Advanced quality and awards. Executive Producer United Way Special simulcast.
Colorado Springs, CO
Top rated station; won more Associated Press and Colorado Broadcasters Awards than other stations combined.
Honors & Awards
- Heartland Emmy Awards Best Newscast two years in a row
- Murrow Award Best Newscast
- AWRT (American Women in Radio and TV) Award for Best News Director two consecutive contests
- Presenter Oklahoma Speech and Communications Association, 2006
- Oklahoma Association of Broadcasters Station of the Year Awards
- Associated Press Award for Best Newscast, Illinois
- Missouri Broadcasters Award for Best Newscast
- Regional Emmy Award Best Newscast, Colorado
- Dominated AP and Colorado Broadcasters Awards
- Magazine articles published
- Leadership Tulsa, Class 29. Local community, business and leadership training.
- Crime Commission, Board Member 2001-2006
- Citizens’ Police Academy. Substantial training on police operations and issues.
- Mentor to At-Risk Youth, Big Brothers